Article by Aurelian Rutia – Published Wednesday, May 04, 2022 16:24 / Updated Friday, May 06, 2022 17:35
The Petrom Bucharest OMV Marathon will be held on the weekend of May 7-8 and will be attended by over 10,000 runners. All racing seats are already filled!
- The event will be broadcast live on TV, on Prima Sport 2.
Despite the restrictions, the main competition was held last year, but at a lower level. In this year’s edition of the OMV Petrom Bucharest Marathon, they will start 10,000 runnerswith several races taking place over two days.
After a 3-year period, the children’s race resumes, with organizers completing the seat count by 300 in the past week. Participants will be between 4 and 12 years old. The popular race will be held on Saturday with the participation of 2,500 participants.
In 2019, the last year before the pandemic in which this type of competition took place, the Bucharest Half Marathon ranked 21st in half marathons approved by World Athletics as the number of participants. There were about 500 of these races around the world. Also in 2019, in the children’s race, where there were 7,500 participants under the age of 18, the OMV Marathon Petrom Bucharest took the first two places.
The medal awarded to the winners will be special, on which Marius Ionescu and Ankoa Bobossil, former winners of the half marathon, will appear.
This year the number of runners attending the Bucharest Half Marathon will double from last year, with 5,000 runners starting on Saturday and 5,000 on Sunday.
Even if restrictions related to the spread of COVID-19 in Romania were lifted, the organizers were limited to 10,000 participants, because in December, when this sports event began to be organized, the situation regarding the conduct of sports events was not the same. Clear. From next year, the organizers hope that the number of participants will not be limited.
Bucharest applied in 2019 to host the annual conference of the European Athletics Federation, one of the most important events in the industry, which brings together sponsors and organizers from all over the world, but due to the pandemic, the event has not been held. It will take place in Stockholm this year, but organizers say Bucharest is among the preferred cities to host this competition in the coming years.
We are going to have a very nice event, as all the runners have been doing. We are very happy because there was so much interest in this event, people obviously missed out on this type of racing. I wish success to all participants and thank the sponsors and authorities who supported and helped organize this event.
Valeria van Groningen, President of Bucharest Running Club
I hope that this competition will last as long as possible and reach the prestige of such competitions in other countries. I started the sport about 27 years ago, that was all I did. Now I’m trying to give back everything the sport gave me. I try to motivate children and bring them into sports. This should be done by all parents, to teach their children that sports should be a part of our lives.
Marius Ionescu, runner
As traditional partners, I can say that this event is very important for our company, and we are very happy that we are back to the traditional calendar, and that this race will take place in May. I’ve learned a lot from this pandemic, and I think it’s very good to have a virtual race this year as well
Alina Petrescu, Director of Communications OMV Petrom
Road traffic restrictions during the 11th edition of the OMV Half Marathon Petrom Bucharest
Saturday 7 May
- Unirii Blvd. (Both ways) between Libertății Blvd. and ICBrătianu Blvd. the slopes adjacent to Constitution Square, between 07:00 and 15:00;
- Libertății Blvd. Between Națiunile Unite Blvd. the Splaiul Independenței (both ways) – START District standings starting at 4.30pm – until 2.30pm on May 8;
- Libertatii Street (between the intersections of Piata Constituției, direction from Calea 13 Septembrie to Bdul Națiunilor Unite) – access to the arrivals area, starting from 15.00 until 14.30 on the eighth of May.
Competition methods on Saturday 7 May as well as the start dates are shown below:
- popular race start of the hour 09:00: start – From Piata Constituției (Prosecutor’s Office), right of Bulevardul Unirii, turn 180 degrees at the pedestrian crossing at the intersection with Splaiul Independenței (without affecting traffic at the intersection), continue onto Bulevardul Unirii, on the beach of Piața Constituției (Ministry of Finance), right Liberty Boulevard, turn 180 degrees at the intersection with United Nations Boulevard (without affecting traffic at the intersection), continue onto Liberty Boulevard, turn 180 degrees at the intersection with Calea 13 Septembrie (without affecting traffic at the intersection), and continue on Liberty Boulevard, Oath of Constitution Square Branch (Prosecutor’s Office) – Access , At 08.50 the start will be given to people with disabilities.
- kids race between 10:30 – 13:30 (depending on age group): start From Constitution Square, (Prosecutor’s Office), right on Unirii Street, turn 180 degrees at the pedestrian crossing at the intersection with Splaiul Independenței (without affecting traffic at the intersection), continue Unirii Street, left at the slope of Constitution Square (Prosecutor’s Office. Headquarters . center) –Access.
Sunday May 8
- From 04.00, sports and emergency lanes will be marked with fences and tape by the organizer, without blocking road traffic;
- Unirii Blvd. (Both ways) between Libertății Blvd. and ICBrătianu Blvd. the slopes adjacent to Constitution Square, between 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM;
- Liberty Avenue between Calea 13 Septembrie and United Nations Blvd. between 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM;
- Freedom Street between United Nations Avenue and Kalia 13 September (lanes 2 and 3) between 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM;
- on the roads of 10 km individual races and 21 km as well as on the streets you reach in the interval 07.30 – 14.30;
Contest methods on Sunday, May 8 as well as start dates are shown below:
Half marathon (21 km), relay and 10 km individual races start with the hour 09:00: start – Bd. Libertăţii (section between Splaiul Independenței and Bd. Națiunile Unite), left Splaiul Independenței, right bridge BPHașdeu (without affecting traffic at the intersection), continue BPHasdeu Street, continue Vasile Pârvan Street, Berzei Street, Buzești Street, left Victoriei Square, Pavel D. Kiseleff Road to Arc de Triomphe, turn 180 degrees (without affecting traffic at the intersection), continue on Pavel D. Kiseleff Road, Calea Victoriei, right Știrbei Vodă Street, left Ion Câmpineanu, right Calea Victoriei, Square United Nations, Right United Nations Avenue, Left Liberty Street – FINISH 10KM RACE – CONTINUE 21KM RACE & RELAY, Left Arch Constitution Square (Prosecutor’s Office), Right Unirii Street, Alba Iulia Square, Right Decearab Street, M Square 180° Turn at Intersection with Chisinau Street (without affecting traffic at the intersection), continue on Bessarabia Boulevard, Pia ța Muncii, Bulevardul Decebal, right Bulevardul Unirii, right bretea Piața Constituției (Ministry of Justice), left Bulevardul Libertății-Accessat 08.45 it will start for people with disabilities.
Traffic arteries will reopen to chain traffic, depending on the position of the last runner falling within normal competition time.
The following bypass methods are recommended:
For the South-North (North-South) relationship, you can go through the Unirea Corridor – ICBrătianu Avenue – University Square – Roman Square – Victory Square – Aviatorilor Blvd. – Charles de Gaulle Square – Brisbane Avenue. – Arc de Triomphe Square, Kiseleff Road – Square Presei Libere or bdul Aviatorilor – continuation of bdul Aerogarii – DN 1,
– Mihai Bravo Road – Muncie Pass – Bokor Obor Pass – Ștefan cel Mare Road or Viilor Road – Progresului Road – Grozăvești Road – Basarab Pass – Ion Mihalache Road – Arcului de Triumf Square;
– Ploieti Bucharest Road – Kiseleff Road – Arcului de Triumf Square – Prezan Avenue. – Aviatorilor Blvd. – Victoriei Square – Roman Square – University Square – ICBrătianu Avenue. – Unirea pass;
– Bucharest Ploieti Road – Aerogării Avenue. – Aviator Alexandru Șerbănescu Street – Barbu Văcărescu Street – Ștefan cel Mare Street – Bucur Obor Pass – Mihai Bravu Road – Muncii Pass – Mihai Bravu Road – Văcărești Road;
For the relationship between the West and the East It is recommended to use it via Unirii Passage, Victoriei Passage or Basarab Passage using the following methods: – Regina Maria Blvd. – 11 Iunie Street – Mărășești Blvd. – Dimitrie Cantemir Blvd. – Unirea Passage – ICBrătianu Blvd. – University Square – Carol Blvd.
– Nicolae Titulescu Road – Victoriei Pass – Iancu de Hunedoara Avenue. – Ștefan cel Mare Road;
– Grozăvești Road or Vasile Milea Road – Basarab Pass – Banu Manta Avenue. – Ion Mihalache Blvd. Alexandru Averescu Blvd. – Arc de Triomphe – Constantin Prezan Avenue.
Competition roadmaps can be accessed at www.bucuresti21km.ro