The Romanian Academy is the highest forum for science and culture in our country. It was founded in 1866, but is named after the Romanian Literary Society. In 1867 the institution became the Romanian Academic Society, and a year later it became the Romanian Academy.
Later, the name was changed, but now it has returned to the name of the Roman Academy. The foundation is now run by historian Yoann Aurel Pope.
The current headquarters of the Roman Academy is also known as the Academy Palace, which is located in Calea Victoriei and has an area of more than 22,000 square metres. Since 2015, the historical headquarters of the Romanian Academy has been nominated in the list of historical monuments of the Ministry of Culture and the National Heritage Institute.
The main role of the Romanian Academy is the development of the Romanian language and literature, the establishment of orthography, the study of national history and research in the most important scientific fields. It is an institution financed mainly from the state budget and donations and operates independently.
The Roman Academy has a long history behind it. After the union of the Romanian principalities on January 24, 1859, through extensive reforms, the necessary conditions were created for the implementation of the idea of \u200b\u200bcreating a high cultural forum.
It was Ioan Mauriscu who, since 1860, proposed the creation of an academic association for the culture of language and the writing of national history. This project did not materialize, but his son Tito Maurescu managed to complete it.
After that, a period of preparation for the project followed, during which the first donations were made. The Bishop of Buzău, Dionosie Romano, donated the library to Captain Constantin Comescu-Oltelniceanu, which contained 6,000 volumes and 400 manuscripts, thus laying the foundations for the library of the Romanian Literary Society.
Six years later, at the suggestion of Constantine Rossetti, the regulation for the formation of the Roman Literary Society was approved. He aimed to establish the orthography of the Romanian language, to develop and publish a dictionary and grammar of the Romanian language.
The first meeting took place only a year later, when many dignitaries from all regions arrived in Bucharest. At the first meeting the Romanian Academic Assembly decided to adopt another name.
After the meeting, the number of founding members reached 25, while the first president of the Romanian Academic Society was appointed Ion Heliad Rodolescu who remained in office until 1870. The vice-president was Timothy Sibario, while the secretary was elected Auguste Tribuño Lorient.
At the same time, discussions began about the creation of a dictionary of the Romanian language, which was considered an urgent need for the future of the country. Six years later, a decision was made to create a Latin-Romanian dictionary, a work necessary for translations of the classics and for the preparation of a dictionary of the Romanian language.
In 1885, by a special law, the Romanian Academic Society was declared a national institution. Since then, the Roman Academy has been divided into three departments: literary, historical and scientific. This structure was preserved until 1948.
In 1880, the creation of its own site for the Roman Academy was discussed for the first time, due to the establishment of works in the university building.
Four years later, King Carol I proposed creating a Roman etymology magnum containing all the ancient words, so as not to be lost over time. The king claimed that this process would take about 5-6 years, so he announced that he would donate 6000 lei annually to its realization.
Bogdan Petrichiko Haydo offered to make Magnum Etymologicum Romaniae, which he designed in gigantic proportions, a treasure trove of linguistic, philosophical, folkloric, historical, geographical, and literary knowledge. Unfortunately, he managed to make only three volumes and an introduction to the fourth.
In 1898, the new building of the Roman Academy was opened, and Ioan Calendero donated money to make the stained glass windows in the hall. In 1948, the Romanian Academy was abolished and a new institution was built, the Academy of the Romanian People’s Republic.
The members changed completely, so the list included personalities associated with the Communist Party, such as Nikolai Porphyry, Mihai Roller and Simon Iaginov. In a short time, the institution became the Academy of the Socialist Republic of Romania.
After 1990, when democracy was restored in Romania, the Academy of the Socialist Republic of Romania changed its name to the Romanian Academy and became an institution operating on a democratic basis. Thus, according to the new statute, the Roman Academy included 12 scientific departments, from arts to technical and mathematical sciences.
Only in 1994 did the General Assembly of Members approve the priority projects of the Romanian Academy, among which are the Small Academic Dictionary of the Romanian Language, the General Dictionary of Romanian Literature, as well as the thesaurus of the Romanian language.
The Academy building underwent a process of consolidation and rehabilitation between 2007-2008. Since the beginning of this year, the National Investment Company has issued a public tender for the rehabilitation, unification, modernization, expansion and endowment of the Academy. Romanian.
The project also envisages the construction of a new classroom. The cost of the investments amounted to about 38 million euros, and the project is financed with funds from the government, through the Ministry of Development, according to a government decision in November 2021.