More than 2,500 people attend this year’s Girls’ Fair on Mount Jena on Saturday. Some tourists came with the tents they had set up near the site of the event.
The demonstrations started at 12.00 and continued on Sunday from 10.00.
The event takes place on a mountainous plateau at an altitude of 1467 metres. For two days, there are folk fairs and performances with big names in Romanian folk music, rock concerts, fireworks and outdoor parties.
Girls on Mount Jena 2022 – Main Events
Exhibition of folk craftsmen “ALBA” It brings together 50 traditional craftsmen from Alba, Hunedoara, Cluj, Arad, Morey, Sibiu, Falcia, Satu Mari, Neamt, Arji and Gorge.
cThe song “Song for the Freedom Makers”., with the support of the People’s Ensemble of the Province of Alba, led by Alexandru Ball. In the show, the actors Roxana Reche, Maria Filimon, Dorina Narița, Floricica Moga, Nicolae Plută and Nicolae Tuhuț performed.
- Folk costume as a symbol of Roman cultural identity by Doina Avononi, ethnologist at the National Museum of the Village Dimitri Gusti, Foundation under the High Patronage of Her Majesty Margherita, Will of the Roman Crown
- “Shirt with mushrooms and aurelia mate”
- “Wood Art by Avram Iancu and Nicolae Beleiu”
- “Altar of the Sun”, “Land of Moths”, “Drama of Avram Ianko”
- The Call of the Tolnik and the Stone Slabs and Pietro Popa.
Fanfara Transilvania and Fanfara Transilvania Junior – Exceptional display of traditional Romanian and Balkan music.
It’s 7.30 pm scheduled a Show ancient, modern and contemporary dances Supported by “Antheia Imperialis”, coordinator of Octavia Opera.
The evening will end with An exceptional concert by the Phoenix Ensemble, 2022 is the year of the band’s 60th anniversary. It won’t be missing from the first day program either Outdoor disco with “Flaviu without S” And the fireworks, Due to midnight.
Girls fair will continue Sunday 17 Julyon top of Mount Găina, in Crucea Iancului, with Solemn ceremony and religious service In memory of Avram Iancu – the hero of the Romanian nation. The program will be opened by tulnicăresele from Avram Iancu and Fanfara from Alba CountyCoriolan honka connector.
The chicken feast continues Folk crafts fairbut also a unusual display Call “Mount Jena unites Roman traditions”. Within this show, teams from Alba, Bihor, Cluj, Hunedoara, Arad, Suceava, Silaj and Gorge counties will compete:
- Suceava – folklore ensemble “Bukovina Flowers”
- Gorj – folk band “Cheile Oltețului Polovragi”
- Slag – “Mogor, Mogurel” folk band
- Arad – “Florel Murului” popular group
- Bihor – Folk Band “Datina” from Eid
- Hunedoara – “Leleșana” Jungle Dance and Song Collection by Lelese
- Cluj – the popular band “Dor Transylvan” of RATUC Cluj-Napoca
- Alba – the popular band “Tradiții uiorene” Ocna Mureș.
Girls Show on Mount Jena, 16-17 July 2022 – Program
Saturday 16 July 2022 / Mount Jena Summit
- 12.00 RO for culture – Fair of Alba Traditional artisans (50 traditional artisans from Alba, Hunedoara, Cluj, Arad, Moree, Sibiu, Falcia, Satu Mare, Neamt, Argio, Gorge)
- 13.00 “Folk costume as a symbol of Romanian cultural identity” by Duina Ivononi, ethnologist at the National Museum of the Village “Dmitri Gusti”, Foundation under the High Patronage of Her Majesty Margherita, Will of the Roman Crown – Broadcast Film
- 14.00 “Song of the Freedom Makers” performed by the folk ensemble of the province of Elba, conductor: Alexandru Ball. Roxana Richie, Maria Philemon, Dorina Narita, Nikolai Pluto, Floresica Muga and Nikolai Toho – The Extraordinary Popular Show
- 15.30 alba traditional – traditional home craftsmen – “shirt with mushrooms and aurelia mate”; “Wood Art by Avram Ianko and Nikolai Bello” – Broadcast Film
- 16.00 “The Altar of the Sun”, “The Land of Moths” and “Avram Iancu Drama” – Broadcast of the film
- 5.30 pm Transylvania and Transylvania Junior Marching Band – Exceptional show of traditional Romanian and Balkan music
- 19.00 Alba traditional – artisans and traditional artists in their homes – “The Call of Tolnik and Eugenia Jafria”; Broadcast of the movie “Stone Tablets and Pietro Popa”
- 7.30 pm “Antheia Imperialis” – Coordinator Octavia Opera – Old and New Dance Show
- 9:30 PM Extraordinary Phoenix Concert (2022 – Year of the 60th Anniversary of Phoenix)
- 23.00 “Flaviu without S” and outdoor disco
- 00.00 fireworks
Sunday 17 July / Mount Jena Summit
- 10.00 Wreath laying ceremony and religious service in memory of Avram Iancu – Hero of the Roman Nation. Tulnicăresele by Avram Iancu, Alba County Marching Ensemble
- 10.30 OMR. Culture for culture – fair of traditional craftsmen from Alba traditional (50 traditional craftsmen from Alba, Hunedoara, Cluj, Arad, Morey, Sibiu, Falcia, Satu Mari, Neamt, Argio and Gorge)
- 11.00 OMR Culture for culture – Mount Jena unites Romanian traditions – Alba, Bihor, Cluj, Hunedoara, Arad, Suceava, Slay, Gorge – Exceptional folk performance: Suceava – folk ensemble “Flore di Bukovina”, Gorge – folk ensemble “Cheile Oltețului Polovragi “,” Sălaj – folk band “Mugur, Mugurel”, Arad – folk band “Florile Mureșului”, Bihor – folk band “Datina” from Elied, Hunedoara – Jungle songs and dance group “Leleese” from Kluj, folk band “Dor Transylvan” of RATUC Cluj-Napoca, Alba – Folk band “Tradiții uiorene” Ocna Mureș.
One of the oldest traditional feasts dating back hundreds of years, the Girls Fair on Mount Jena is organized annually on the Sunday closest to Saint Elijah’s Day (July 20).
It is organized, in partnership, by the Alba County Council “Augustin Bena” Cultural Center, Avram Iancu City Hall, with the support of Hunedoara County Council.
At the fair of girls, the inhabitants of the Apuseni Mountains gathered to exchange products, but it was also an opportunity to meet and marry young men from distant regions, who came here with their parents. Preparations for the climb were made a few days in advance, and on Sunday, with night in mind, they climbed the mountain in the expanse where the exhibition was held.
It is said that the girls came with a dowry loaded on horses, and the wedding took place immediately by the priests who took part in the event. The party was accompanied by “shouts” songs and games, which the girls “taken”, and did not buy it.
Over time, according to historical accounts, important figures such as Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph I participated in the Girls’ Fair, during a visit to Transylvania, in 1852, the Prime Minister of Romania from the interwar period Ionel IC Brătianu, to visit him being arranged a tent camp, or the King of Romania Ferdinand I, in 1924, where the “Eyang Cross” was consecrated.
Today, the girls’ fair in Găina has turned into a huge popular celebration, with the participation of the inhabitants of the Apuseni mountains, in the neighboring provinces and even in the far lands of the country. The inauguration was given by the famous tulnicărese of Avram Iancu, followed by the artistic program for the participants that lasts until the evening. Since 2006, Girls’ Fair on Jena Mountain is a registered trademark of Alba County Council and its motto: “Come to Mount Jena, come to Mount Love!”
Reaching the plateau on Mount Jena, where the events take place, is possible by cars and minibuses with a capacity of 20 seats. On the district road DJ 762, you reach the municipality of Avram Iancu, the area closest to Mount Găina, from here the road continues on a paved road and cars can reach the plateau where the action takes place. On the mountain there is a camping area for those who want to spend two wonderful days in nature.
More than 140 gendarmes and 100 policemen from Alba provided public order measures at the event.