The National Library of Romania has more than 13 million titles (documentary)

The National Library of Romania is located in the center of the capital, on Unirii Street, opposite the main seat of the Court of Bucharest. The building had a tumultuous post-revolution history, and its name has been changed countless times. However, nowadays, the National Library of Romania has preserved its remarkable values.

The library fund contains more than 13,000,000 encyclopedic bibliographic materials. They are organized in the existing funds, such as the Roman and foreign prints and we find a collection of newspapers, books and magazines, but also in the funds of the special collections, which contain many lovers of books, manuscripts, historical archives, ancient Roman periodicals, photographs and maps.

The National Library of Romania, formerly known as the State Central Library, is the largest library in Romania.

Over time, it bore different names, depending on the political system and the forces that succeeded each other during the more than 100 years of its existence. The library currently contains 14 reading rooms, six meeting rooms, an auditorium and more than 12 million books.

The National Library of Romania has its origins in the Library of Saint Sava College in Bucharest, one of the oldest and most representative libraries in the country. The library of Saint Sava College was used in 1838, and its chest contained nearly 1,000 volumes.

After the union in 1859, the library acquired the status of a national library. Only later, the name changed and became the Central Library.

Five years later, through the Public Regulations Act, the library acquired a new name: Central State Library, a name it held until 1901. A year later, for more than 50 years, the library was abolished, and its collections were transferred to the Library of the Roman Academy.

In 1955, the Central State Library, as the main public library in the country, was established and had specific duties for the National Library, according to the criteria imposed by UNESCO.

Only in 1990 did the State Central Library receive the name National Library of Romania, the name it still bears today.

The first headquarters of the State Central Library was the Bursa Palace building, in the old center of the capital, near the university. However, the library also had other buildings, such as the Ionel IC Brătianu building – located on Str. Amzi Church, which has become a historical landmark.

The building houses a large pool. Later, the new headquarters of the National Library appeared. It was designed and built prior to 1989 by architect Eliodor Popa, but it was never completed.

For a long time, it was not possible to make any investments in the building, so several parts of the building fell into disrepair, and parts of building materials were stolen.

It was only in 2002 that a controversy arose about the construction, after it was transferred to the Autonomous Administration – State Protocol Heritage Administration, becoming the seat of the government. Later, the plan was abandoned.

Four years later, the Ministry of Culture decided to convert this building into a cultural center and national library, but works began only in 2009.

In 2010, PDL deputy Silvio Brigoni submitted a legislative proposal requiring the Romanian Parliament to move to this building, but this initiative was not adopted.

In 2012, Patriarch Daniel of the Romanian Orthodox Church consecrated the new headquarters of the National Library of Romania, which was opened to the public only on April 23, 2012.

From the old headquarters style, only the division of rooms by fields has been preserved, so there is a room for periodicals, one for linguistics, and another for exact sciences.

In addition, a children’s reading room has been created inside the building, several multifunctional spaces where various activities can be organized, since a permit to the library is not necessarily required. Alternatively, to access the books on the shelf, visitors need a free card based on an identity document.

The total area of ​​the building is 112 thousand square meters, and the valid area is 78,600 square meters.
The National Library contains 16 large reading rooms, six meeting rooms, multifunctional spaces (exhibition halls, auditions, performances, bookstores, and coffee shops), book stores, and offices. The library also contains an auditorium, annexes, and art spaces.

Leave a Comment